Band of the Week

Band of the Week
Bad Religion - Free album download

Unsigned Band of the Week

Unsigned Band of the Week
Coming soon....

Video of the Week

Video of the Week
Metric - Gold Guns Girls

Bandology Pick of the Week

Bandology Pick of the Week
Paper Route - Free song download for charity

Jonas Sees In Color - Why You Should Care

7/28/09

Jonas Sees In Color hails from North Carolina but why should you care? They just signed to Glassnote Records. Still don't care? You should. Daniel Glass runs the label.

I'm a big fan of Daniel Glass and what he has done for this music industry in the last 20+ years. Glass started Glassnote Records waaaaaay back in 2007. In just 2 short years, he has brought the world the music of Secondhand Serenade. Secondhand has sold over 2 million singles and 400,000 albums worldwide since signing to Glassnote.

Daniel Glass found another gem that is now on everyone's "buzz meter." Ever heard of that French band Phoenix? Their album has sold over 80,000 copies in the last 10 weeks. Their song Lisztomania is one of my Top 5 Songs of the Week. They are also on Glassnote Records.

Daniel Glass has had his hand in the careers of artists like Billy Idol, Sinead O'Connor, Blur, Reel Big Fish, Erykah Badu, Huey Lewis & The News, Pat Benetar, Vanilla Ice and many more. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Glass in his office in 2008. I learned more in that hour than I did that whole year. He is big on songwriting and doesn't care about numbers, sales or where the artist is from. A sales history can be built but songwriting can't be taught.

Daniel Glass says that A and A- songs don't sell. Only A+ songs sell. Using a co-writer to turn your A- song to an A+ isn't always a bad idea. As a matter of fact, it is almost a must.

Daniel Glass also builds artists for the worldwide market, not just here in the U.S. Look at Secondhand's sold out shows across the globe. Glass then takes the chance of signing Phoenix, a band from Paris. And guess what? They are already breaking here in the States (and are booked till late November without a single U.S. date).

The point of this article is tell you that we should always be watching what Daniel Glass is signing. He is the former President of EMI and Universal but he always had an indie mind. Even though he was the head of major labels, he always hired indie-minded people. He builds bands from the ground up. You may not know who Jonas Sees In Color is right now. But chances are they will be a household name within a few years. Be one of the first to follow this band.

textbookx.com (Akademos, Inc.)

9 comments:

Tim said...

Daniel Glass is such a positive and intelligent person. He treated me like I was an equal even though I'm no where near and I could only hope to achieve half of what he's done.

Follow this man and his label!

July 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM
Jayme Gonz said...

While I'm not a fan of this band, Daniel Glass just knows what the deal is. Having met him on many occasions he is super passionate about what he does, and is also very into helping people get a break in the industry on the label side of things. He goes to meetings with everyone including all of his interns in tow.

Daniel Glass really knows artist development plain and simple.

July 28, 2009 at 7:31 AM
Tim said...

Jayme, I was so impressed with him. I'm jealous you got to meet him many times.

Passionate is definitely the best word to describe him. And genuine.

July 28, 2009 at 7:46 AM
ChrisBlanco said...

I had the opportunity to meet this band in Virginia two years ago when I was out on tour. They seemed pretty passionate about what they were doing, but I just didn't think they had songs that would really take them anywhere. Ill have to give them another listen.

-Toph

July 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Thomas Giles said...

Impressive! I previously did not know about Mr. Glass and his label or this band, but feel like I should have. Consider myself interested...

July 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Marc Teichmann said...

Everything Tim has said is true. I had the honor and privilege to work for Daniel as an intern on 2 occasions. First when Glassnote was just a baby in the summer of 2007 and again during the Spring of 2008 right when SHS came out with A Twist In My Story. Daniel is a very intelligent businessman, so passionate and knowledgeable about music, and a great human being. The atmosphere he's created at Glassnote is like no other!

P.S. Tim I forwarded this on to the Glassnote team!

July 29, 2009 at 9:03 AM
TimTowner said...

Thanks Marc! I wonder if I met you in the office because I had my visit in Feb. '08. Hmmm...

July 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM
Marc Teichmann said...

Interesting...I was there during that time, but I don't remember meeting you. And I would have, I've been reading TDC for a while. I've actually started my own label, Pulse Records, since then. You should check out my first artist Abandoned Interstate!

myspace.com/abandonedinterstate

Enjoy!

July 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Unknown said...

The Hogan is a great style in multiple colors. Sleek in style, these soccer Hogan scarpe donna offer plenty of comfort and support. With synthetic leather uppers for durability and support, these great Hogan scarpe uomo also come with a synthetic lining for comfort. With an EVA insole for comfort and die-cut EVA midsole for lightweight comfort, these great Hogan uomo also come with a textured patterned outsole that will keep you gripped on those surfaces in that indoor field!

Today, you can see Hardy clothing stores here and there especially all over the world. If you're planning to purchase some hardy shirts as a Christmas gift for your families and friends, you can also purchase ED Hardy Shoes online, just please visit the ED Hardy Shoes online for more discounts and save your money immediately! Good luck!

At ROUTE 66 you can find a huge selection of the entire ROUTE 66 DVD new releases at amazing, discount prices. It can be hard to keep tabs on everything that hits the shelves, so we make it easy for you by featuring the best newROUTE 66 DVD COLLECTION movies that you should consider purchasing and watching at home.

July 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment and please register for our email list!

 

2009 ·Bandology.net by TNB